Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Walking Buddies

Caleb & I love our daily walks (especially when daddy can join). Caleb loves looking around at the trees, sky, etc. and I love holding his hands and looking at him in his hat. :P


While we're on our short daily walk (which by the way, is just 2 blocks from our house to the park, through the park, to the library across the street and back), we encounter lots of strangers who always strike up a conversation with me. Here's some tidbits of the types of people I encounter and the things they say to me:
  • The little kids. These guys are my favorite. There was once a little girl riding her bike on the street. She saw Caleb, immediately stopped, threw her bike down, ran up to me and said "Awwwwww..." She gave us a big smile and jumped back onto her bike and left. Haha. Little kids often like looking at Caleb (a few of them yell "BABY BABY BABY!" and run towards us).
  • The old ladies. There's lots of grandmothers walking around. They usually speak Chinese to me and try to give me advise. Sometimes they're sensible (like "Try to sleep as much as possible."), but usually they're very weird. For instance, here's some things I've been told: "Pad your bones. If your bones hurt, his bones will hurt. Don't think that you should be in pain just because you're a mommy." "He's very very cute. So be careful. The girls are coming. You should think about his hair." "He can sleep standing. That means you should sit him up more." Usually I just nod my head and smile...and think "either my Chinese is THAT bad, or you're just weird."
  • The fellow mommies. They usually say "How old is he? .... WOW, he's very big!" and "I miss when my kids were that tiny."
  • The weird neighbors. There's one guy who I always see. He always says hello with a big smile, nods his head and then says "Sandra, you do good work." I'm not quite sure what he means by that, but he says it every time I see him. I guess it's a good thing. There's another Asian-visor-wearing-pregnant lady who says "He's bigger and I'm bigger" with a laugh every time I see her. I wonder what she'll say after she gives birth.

Well, there's more but this is enough blogging for me today. :) So yes, if you'd like to talk to strangers...carry a baby around. Even the firemen (there's a firehouse next to the libary) and my mean mail man now talk to me. haha.

1 comment:

clieu said...

little baby, big hat is very cute!